With our family run factory in Guangzhou, we are determined to prioritise the working rights of all team members working for the factory and are committed to reducing our environmental impact on the world.
E&I have implemented the following policies to ensure all working conditions are just, hard work is acknowledged and incentives are recognised:
- All employees are paid fairly, all workers are also paid above award rates in China.
- The workers are paid incentives whereby the more detailed a design is, or if a piece requires a high level of skill, then the workers are paid bonuses for such projects. Workers are also paid additional bonuses for volume work, and styles that are completed on time.
- The workers are paid medical and superannuation.
- Overtime will never be demanded, or requested regularly, as this depends on time sensitive orders only. If Overtime is required, this is on a voluntary basis, and ZYA The Label currently compensates its workers by paying a premium rate of time and a half for all overtime work that takes place. Overtime work is only ever an extra two hours on top of their standard eight hour working day. As overtime is fulfilled at the end of the day, the factory provides dinner by compensating employees. Dinner is always eaten first before commencing overtime work and all overtime work finishes at 7:30pm.
- In regards to superannuation, the government in China matches each employee super contributions, dollar to dollar, of the factory.
- The workers are entitled to sick leave and maternity leave.
- The factory’s business hours are from 9:00am - 5:30pm, Monday - Saturday (unless there is overtime work, in which case the factory closes up no later than 7:30pm). However, the workers are not required to work a set amount of hours as they are paid by their projects and can choose how they work on them. This means that there is flexibility with how they spend their time at work. The standard working week is 40 hours, unless they choose to work overtime, and can not exceed 48 hours.
- All workers have a two hour lunch break at 12:30pm, where workers eat for roughly half an hour in the break room that is in the factory. Staff have the option to sleep/rest/nap for the remaining one and a half hours of their break. Lights are switched off so they can use this time in the day to rest comfortably, and at 2:30pm when their break is over, they go back to work.
- There are no forced contracts, this means employees can resign or leave at anytime.
- The factory does not house any of the employees, and therefore does not offer accommodation. All workers return to their homes after work, at the end of their day.
- All employees MUST be over the legal age to work (The legal age is 16+). We have a STRICT policy that enforces this by checking personal identification documents when hiring applicants. In fact, our policy prohibits hiring any person under the age of 18, regardless.
- We are conscious of the working environment in the factory and frequently upgrade machinery and resources. One example, the factory is fully air conditioned in all working spaces.
- The factory has an appointed OH&S leader and they have high safety & hygiene standards.
- We encourage the staff at the factory to comfortably speak directly with managers or team leaders if they have any concerns. We do not hinder the development of independent and free association and bargaining.
- We do not condone discrimination. There is to be no discrimination in any shape or form with anyone affiliated with ZYA The Label. Worker representatives shall not be discriminated against and have access to carry out their representative functions in the workplace.
- Physical abuse or discipline, the threat of physical abuse, sexual or other harassment and verbal abuse or other forms of intimidation are prohibited.
- We do not use any materials or fabrics that come from animals. That means no leather, wool, silk or fur. We deeply care for our furry friends and strongly believe that we do not have the right to exploit them in any way, especially for superficial reasons such as fashion.
- We are happy to schedule visits to the factory with any clients and have done so in the past. We have always received positive feedback, we are very proud of the factory!